Any person enrolling at Cuesta College in credit or non-credit courses is subject to residency requirements as outlined by the California Education Code. New students and those who are absent two semesters or more are required to complete an admission application in order to determine applicable fees.

Resident Student:  A resident student is one who has been a legal resident in California for more than one year immediately preceding the beginning of the semester in which the student plans to enroll, and who demonstrates the intent to remain a permanent California resident.

Non-Resident Student: A non-resident student is one who has not had a legal residence in California for more than one year immediately preceding the beginning of the semester. Such students are required to pay non-resident tuition in addition to enrollment fees.

AB540 (Assembly Bill 540) Exempt Student: A student eligible for the AB540 Exemption of Non-resident Tuition must have attended a California high school, or high school equivalent, for a minimum of three years and earned a California high school diploma, or equivalent.

SB 150 (Senate Bill 150) Exempt Student:  Concurrently enrolled students (high school students enrolled in college classes) who are classified as non-resident students for fee/tuition purposes may be eligible for the SB150 waiver of non-resident fees while still in high school. Students must be part-time (enrolled in 11.999 units or less) who currently reside in California and are attending high school in California.

Foreign - Out of Country: An international student eligible for a non-immigrant F-1 Visa by completing the International Student Application process.  International students are required to pay non-resident tuition in addition to the enrollment fees.

A non-resident student may be eligible for an approved non-resident tuition exemption when appropriate documentation is presented to Admissions staff.  Exemption to non-resident tuition exists for any one of the following:

  • Full-time credentialed employee of a California public school enrolling in college for purposes of fulfilling credential-related requirements;

  • Seasonal agricultural worker for at least a total of two months of each of the past two years;

  • Full-time employee, or spouse, or dependent of a full-time employee of any of the following college/universities: California Community Colleges, California State University, University of California, or Maritime Academy;

  • Applicants under the age of 19, who have lived under the direct care and control of an adult, other than a parent for two years immediately preceding the resident determination date; and such adult has for the year immediately preceding the residence determination date, had California residence.

  • Applicants who are dependent or ward of the State through California's child welfare system.

WARNING: Providing false information about your citizenship, military status, and/or California residency could result in criminal charges for perjury and/or fraud, with the possibility of imprisonment if you are convicted.

Students who wish to challenge their non-resident status may submit a Statement of Legal Residence reclassification form.